I'm forever attempting to answer this question: "How can I get as many nutrients as possible, in as little time as possible while making sure my taste buds are satisfied?"
This week, I'm sharing the recipe for one of my (now) go-to quick meals. This recipe [great for lunches, snacking or as a party appetizer] was inspired by this question as well as the leftovers that were getting a little too comfortable in the back of my fridge...ha!
I wanted to find a way to not just re-use the leftovers, but transform the actual ingredients so that the recipe would taste new and fresh. The leftover ingredients? Marinara sauce, half a pack of meatless ground, a few tortillas and salad greens on the verge of wilting. These few ingredients could have been a good addition to a bowl-type meal or a salad but, I was feeling creative.
Vegan Open Faced Taco
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup meatless ground (ex: Trader Joe's Beef-less Ground Beef)
- 2 cups shredded soy cheese blend (ex: Trader Joe's Soy Cheese Blend)
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup spring mix, chopped
- green onions (scallion), chopped
- red peppers (roasted or fresh is fine), chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- 2 sturdy flour tortillas (ex: Trader Joe's Handmade Flour Tortillas)
- vegan sour cream or vegan plain yogurt (ex: Silk Dairy Free Yogurt Alternative)
- olive oil
- garlic powder
Nutrition Points (per one prepared tortilla)
- 12g (vegetable) protein
- 5g fiber
- 8g fat
- 42g carbohydrates
Putting it All Together
- Preheat your oven to 375º
- Warm olive oil in a medium-sized pan on low/medium.
- Add marinara sauce and meatless ground to the pan. Season with 2 pinches of cumin, 2 pinches of paprika, 1 pinch of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of oregano and a little salt + pepper to taste. Allow to heat thoroughly, for a about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Lay your tortillas flat on a non-stick cookie sheet. Depending on the size of the cookie sheet you may have to use 2. Drizzle each tortilla with olive oil.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce mixture on each tortilla.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of "cheese" blend on each tortilla, atop the sauce. Add olives, red peppers and green onions.
- Place in the oven at 375º for 6-8 minutes. Remove when you see the edges of the tortilla begin to brown.
- Transfer tortillas from cookie sheet to a large cutting board and cut into slices.
- Transfer slices to serving dish and top with about 1 tbsp "yogurt" (or vegan sour cream), 1 tbsp salsa, and a handful of spring mix [as pictured].
- Sprinkle entire dish with a small amount of chopped cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 2-6. 1 tortilla can can be served as a meal for one or sliced and served as a snack/party tray with the proper accompaniments.