I love a good frittata. Its an easy one-dish meal to make for breakfast or brunch and can deliver loads of nutrients.
I was inspired to make this high-protein frittata (thats also more gentle on the stomach that your average frittata) after spending a weekend in Atlanta and having one of the yummiest frittatas I've ever had, but also suffering the digestive consequences later.
What makes this frittata high-protein? In addition to the eggs; Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt provides 17g of protein per cup.
How is it gentle on the gut? In this recipe, I substituted butter with olive oil and milk with Greek Yogurt. In addition to providing protein, Greek yogurt is also easier to digest for those sensitive to lactose because 1) the straining process removes a good amount of milk sugars, liquid whey and lactose 2) the probiotics in Greek yogurt, like L. Acidophilus, assist your body in the breakdown of lactose.
High Protein Potato Crusted Veggie Frittata
- 6 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 4 red potatoes
- fresh parsley
- fresh dill
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- dried rosemary
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- minced garlic
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Wash and thinly slice potatoes; I use a julienne slicer to get the slices nearly paper thin. Set potatoes aside.
- "Grease" (with olive oil), a 9 inch pie pan. Line the entire pie pan with sliced potatoes. Brush a thin layer of olive oil on top of potatoes. Set aside.
- Add green onions, red onions, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, minced garlic and a drizzle of olive oil to a heated sauté pan. Cook veggies on medium heat for about 3 minutes or until onions are slightly translucent. Set veggies aside.
- Whisk together eggs and greek yogurt. Whisk in salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried rosemary and dried dill to taste.
- Pour mixture into potato-lined pie pan.
- Add cooked veggies to the pan, being sure to distribute them throughout the egg mixture evenly.
- Place in oven and cook at 425º for 20-25 minutes. You will know its ready when you can stick a toothpick or fork into the center of the dish and it comes out clean.
- Remove dish from oven and garnish with fresh dill and parsley.