This recipe is so easy that I don't even know if I can call it one. So, instead, I'll call it a how-to or, better yet: a serving suggestion for your leftovers.
Making a "Leftovers Breakfast Bowl" is easily done by simply adding a healthy dose of protein, via eggs and quinoa to whatever leftover veggies, meats, etc you may have in the fridge.
The leftover bowl that I made, pictured below, packs 35 grams of protein from the egg (6 g per 1 egg), quinoa (16 g per 1 cup), low-fat turkey sausage (22 g per 1 lb) and black beans (35 g per 1 cup). This meal is also low in saturated fats and cholesterol (because I used 1 egg instead of several).
Now, to make this? It's as easy as 1...2...3...
1. Make 1 serving of quinoa, using package instructions.
2. Make 1 egg, however you like. I usually go with over-medium.
3. Prep & heat up (if needed) your leftovers.
To plate: Spoon quinoa onto your serving dish. Drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Place egg atop quinoa. Add prepped leftovers as pictured. I usually finish mine with a little Sriracha.
I know, all leftovers are not created equally, so, here's a list of healthy leftover options:
- Leafy Greens (any type will do!)
- Salad greens (sprinkle atop for added nutrition)
- Fresh Vegetables (like tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers)
- Cooked Vegetables
- Plain Greek Yogurt (it's great with savory foods!)
- Herbs and onions (scallions, chives, parsley, cilantro)
- Grilled or baked meats
- Grilled or baked seafood